Construction 25: Iron railings

27/05/12 | ۩ |

In the basement floor I can't miss to set up a jail.
Here the master will put his captive enemies as well as some rebel family member.
I close an empty area between two pillars and the stone wall with railings leaving a small door as the only passage.
Railings will be plugged on every side into the floor, ceiling and pillars...


I start making the railings with a wire, old but not oxidated.
At first my intention was to place only vertical bars held by a pair of wooden timbers. The effect could look fine at a first glance (you can see it above) but it's not very realistic.
A fast search on the internet confirm this feeling, driving me to change my project on the way (as usual).


So I decide to change the grey wire for the old one I already used building the gate.
When I realize that I can mould the wire weaving the bars without any glue, I start searching for a hard surface where I could strike them with a hammer. Of course I don't want to break the floor tiles or torture my neighbours ears with bothersome noises...
I try using a granite slab but it breaks after a few strikes. Besides the stone is not perfectly smooth and it damages the brown coat of the wire.
When I almost despair of finding the right support, my granada comes to help me! I mean the pomegranate symbol of Granada, reproduced on every piece of street furniture in the city where I live.
Some years ago I found a broken cast iron post (precisely in shape of a pomegranate) and I brought it home to make it a piece of my junk collection. It's been parked on my terrace till now...
But now I decided it will be my anvil!


Weaving the grid is a bit hard at the beginning. Working with bare hands, without clamps or others devices, pieces tends to move and turn to different directions.
Once I crossed at least 3 vertical and 3 horizontal bars, the grid is self-sustaining and from then on the work is easier.
The hammer strikes over the joints flatten out the bars, joining them together and making the grid more alike to the real railings.
With a hot moulding I'd surely get a better work, but I don't have a foundry at my disposal, so I'll be satisfied with this!


Once the first railing is finished, it's time to build the second and the third one. Size should be the same for all (with a difference: one of them will be open to place the door).
Actually, the space between the bars is different for every single railing, but as they'll be mounted on different sides of the "cage" without touching each other... I'll be satisfied again!


And now it's the turn of the door...



1 commenti:

Iron Railings ha detto...

Thank you for sharing a good information blog is great i like studying your posts Stay up the good things.

Posta un commento

Related Posts with Thumbnails